Simple tips to avoid phone scams – think about sharing with older relatives who are most often targeted:
- Always check out callers, especially cold callers who claim to be Microsoft, your telephony provider or internet service provider – it’s 99.9% certain they aren’t who they say they are.
- Legitimate organisations will encourage you to call back via a number you’ve obtained from a trustworthy source. Remember to hang up and wait a few minutes before calling out – this stops them keeping the line open and always check for a dial tone for dialling the number
- Do not assume that the number displayed on your phone is accurate, these can be spoofed, leading you to believe that the caller is in the UK or from a trusted organisation.
- Don’t call phone numbers on pop-up messages which indicate there is a problem with your computer.
- If you search for a number, don’t use a number from the advertising area – bad actors can pay to be listed there, you need to check the normal, organic details.